feeding the filter beds (Ill. 209).
board's offices, the Laboratory Building faces away from John Skeaping sculpted the Metropolitan Water Board
unwilling to make a financial commitment. elm logs for water pipes were landed. of a tapering round brick tower, then rare in England, with aspect for the individual laboratories, concentrated on this
Sorocold. In 1707 it adopted his experimental and expensive scheme for a windmill and an upper reservoir, on land enterprise and public policy was that Colthurst was deemed to be a reservoir, but rather a collecting pool for its basement 'gallery', from which stopcocks regulated the Although it was at one time threatened with closure, the waterway continues to supply water to the capital. fourteen three-bedroom flats facing Amwell Street.
Once the pond had been filled, favour. ceiling.
of about 30 ft over a distance of about 1,000 ft. associated with the 1630s. headquarters at New River Head. while much of southern Clerkenwell is free-draining more powerful Boulton & Watt engines. Properties, a subsidiary of Thames Water. cylinders, 8 ft Comprising upper and lower chambers, the space for the Metropolitan Water Board's central offices. The river follows the land contours but certain parts have been straightened over the centuries. decade of the eighteenth century saw initiatives to extend
In 1936–8 the eastern filter bed
and re-organization of the panelling was involved, but Corporation after an Act of 1543. New River Head engine house, ground-level plans in 1768, 1786, 1795 and 1849. River water was almost entirely Lea water. with interpretative panels, which marks the start of a footpath along the course of the New River itself. open fields for longer than adjoining landholdings, significant parts being given over to the accretive network of loss of the panoramic views it had previously offered. A new authority, Thames Water, took responsibility for
At the same time, the Nothing of the New River itself survives in On the pond side there was a square projecting stair turret through which the building was west side. what was once a filter bed, the greater part of the site south-east of the former windmill. house; right, the Nautilus Building (Nicholson GDA,
In time it Northern Clerkenwell was chosen for the termination of in 1666. 10 Privatization followed in 1989, and in 2001 Thames Water Despite economies, these rose Islington-born, he him to experiment further with steam engines, work that belonging to the 2nd Earl of Clarendon, a shareholder, Despite this, and higher
Water-Testing Laboratory in 1938. Main brought new purpose, or return of old purpose, to
Mansfield & Son were the builders, included the introduction of cast-iron windows, the rebuilding in much south range was fitted out with a dais and concentric some discussion of the formation of the 'river'—in fact an
217. with many early records, were destroyed by fire in 1769. come within the New River Company's purview. The carving has, inevitably, been attributed to Grinling Gibbons. re-formed as filter beds, and to the covering of the impervious London clay, providing a better bed for a were again the builders. Henry T. Hare. for the New River Company. essentially redundant Round Pond in 1914–15 created components in the London Ring Main completed in 1994.The complex history of the New River has been well Smeaton in 1766–7. counting house, a first-floor 'middle room', and garrets
frieze panels and an overmantel with the arms of William buildings—neither fronting Rosebery Avenue—are the the centre. with water from springs in Hertfordshire—a civil what is now Rosebery Avenue.
(Ills 215, 216). storey in 1963–4.For the semi-circular south end of the entrance block for board members on the top floor at the north-east its headquarters from New River Head to Reading in 1987. eighteenth century. to the three new filter beds along radiating channels before wall on the south side of Myddelton Passage, running