Look at Northern Ireland from different perspectives.

Article 13 of the Roads (Northern Ireland) Order 1993 allows the Department to classify roads as being first-class, second-class or third-class roads or as being of any other class specified in the Order. The Current Road Network in Northern Ireland : This page gives information on all current … Get free map for your website. The major routes were established before Irish independence and consequently take little cognisance of the border other than a change of identification number and SDL boundaries are available for settlements with a population of greater than 1,000. The trunk routes are basically a subset of the above A-class roads, representing those that are most important. The island of Ireland, comprising Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, has an extensive network of tens of thousands of kilometres of public roads, usually surfaced. Whereas the roads in Great Britain are numbered according to a zonal system, there is no available explanation for the allocation of road numbers in Northern Ireland, though their numbering is separate from the system in England, Scotland and Wales. Contact details for DfI Roads, the sole Road Authority in Northern Ireland, responsible for public roads, footways, bridges, and street lights. These roads have been developed and modernised over centuries, from trackways suitable only for walkers and horses, to surfaced roads including modern motorways. email: dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk ; Report flooding: Flooding Incident Line 0300 2000 100 (24 hours a day) Further information is available in the Report of the Inter-Departmental Urban-Rural Definition Group. In Northern Ireland, Transport NI is responsible for all 5,592 miles of roads. The maintenance and development of all 25,000km of public roads in Northern Ireland falls under the responsibility of the Strategic Roads are themselves divided into two categories:Motorways are generally assigned their own numbers either prefixed with the letter M or appended with (M), for example M1, M22, A8(M). Settlement Development Limits (SDLs) are a statistical classification and delineation of settlements in Northern Ireland defined by the Planning Service. Discover the beauty hidden in the maps. Legislation is available in different versions: Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team.Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can … OSNI Road Network has been created as a network allowing users to plan the shortest route between points. Contact details for DfI Roads, the sole Road Authority in Northern Ireland, responsible for public roads, footways, bridges, and street lights.This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit. The main roads in Northern Ireland, which connect well with those in the south, are signed "M"/"A"/"B" as in Great Britain. According to a Northern Ireland Assembly written answer from 1999, the reason for the above system is lost to history: "Road classification dates back a very considerable time (pre Local Government Reorganisation) and its use today is limited to route identification. Contacts for common benefits are listed below.If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the For queries or advice about property valuation, email:For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact